Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Grout be gone

I've managed to tackle another one of those chores that has been weighing on my mind for almost 4 years. Yes, the dreaded tub caulking.

Everytime I went into the bathroom, all I could see was the brown stuff (mildew?) that I could never remove from the caulking no matter how hard I tried. I envisioned all my guests looking at that stuff and going "yuck".

Problem was, for a long time I could barely bend over to clean the tub let alone replace caulking. Well, I finally tried it. I found a tool to scrape off the old stuff and it worked wonders. Within 15 minutes I had the old stuff removed. I used plastic tape stuff instead of more caulking. I remembered the last time I did this the caulking fumes just about knocked me out.

I'm still having problems removing some of the old stuff from a few of the tiles. I have these 1" tiles that cover the entire bathtub enclosure. They're a bugger to clean and you pretty much need to be on hands and knees with a toothbrush to do it.

It's not perfect but it's definitely better. Chalk this up to another task "done"!

Before


After


No comments: